Friday, April 4, 2014

Thing #17

Del.icio.us

The tutorial video really helped me understand Delicious since I have never heard of this before. I am feeling a little overwhelmed after learning about Delicious, Digg and Stumbleupon. I think that delicious is only slightly user friendly than the other two, although Digg didn't seem terrible. I will need to play around with this a little more, after watching the tutorial it seemed a lot easier to use but when I went to search for educational technology I was getting things posted from 2007, which we all know seven years ago in a technological world is ancient. Even MacBooks are considered "antique" after five years and you can't even get parts for them at the Apple store. I like the fact that this is different from bookmarks because then if I am not on my own computer I can still save websites that I find without needing to be on my own computer. I did find a tag about 100 websites that will make you smarter. I went down to the section about science and clicked on wired science. I was hoping it would have been a little more educational but it was interesting. The website has current information about the polar vortex and other current events. 

I can see how this would be useful for teachers to stay up to date on the most current teaching techniques and the tags make it easier to organize everything. I liked the social aspect in theory. You still need to rely on people to tag things the way would would tag them yourself. I did like how there was a follow button, I think that would be very useful as a beginning teacher to have access to other more seasoned teachers website that they deemed as useful. I think I will need more classroom experience before I know which websites and activities are helpful in the classroom and which ones are not. Once I get the hang of the website I hope to find teachers that have useful websites to use during my first year. I think is it a great way to share ideas with teachers across the country and not just the ones what teach in the school that I will be teaching at in the future. I am not sure how this tool would be used in the classroom for student use. I think that this might be a little over the heads of elementary school students. I think that I would only use this in the classroom to get websites off of it that I have already tagged.  

No comments:

Post a Comment