Monday, April 7, 2014

Thing #18

Twitter

I swore to myself that I would never be on Twitter, but then came Thing #18 in this technology class and here I am an official "Twitter-er". I never really cared much about hashtags and I think people go a little off the deep end hashtagging everything, I mean why else would they make an SNL skit about hashtags, with every other word being hashtag. It seems a little crazy to me that people want to tweet every single thing that they are thinking of for their followers to see. I really don't care what famous people are thinking or the nasty comments people tweet back and forth about each other. 

With that being said, to set up an account it was really quite simple. The website took you step by step and had me set up 10 people to follow. I chose teacher sites to follow since this exercise is about using Twitter for educational purposes and not to see what Taylor Swift has to say. I searched Teacher and came up with pretty interesting people/organizations to follow. Part of the reason I never was interested in joining Twitter is I had no idea that it could be used for education. I thought it was just a place that people could talk/complain about their every day comings and goings. I can see after signing up for education purposes that Twitter can be useful for teachers. I think that Twitter can keep teachers updated on information a lot faster with less than 140 characters. I think that it is probably a good thing for teachers to at least know about so there isn't such a gap between teachers and students, more so I think in high school than elementary school. 

I'm not sure if I would really use this in an elementary classroom with students so much. I might use it to keep in communication with parents much like a blog with a classroom specific hashtag that only my student's parents would have such as #mrsSomers3rdgradeclass2014. This way if the students had projects or there was information that I needed to get out to the parents who were followers I would be able to instantly notify them about the happenings in the classroom. As a teacher I think I would try to stay up to date with some of the hashtags for my own learning purposes. Overall not a terrible experience with Twitter, not nearly as painful as I thought it was going to be. 

Here is my twitter account


No comments:

Post a Comment